Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Benefits of a Good Old Fashioned Business Trip

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm currently in Chicago visiting one of our remote offices for a few days.  I used to travel regularly for work, but as it often happens during a tough economy, non-essential travel was first to be cut.  But, the need to have me up here for a couple days came up, and I was happy to make a visit.

Although I always miss Greg and my furry babies dearly when I'm gone, I have to say that there are many things I love about traveling on work trips.  Let me preface my list by saying that I do not think I could have a job that required a significant amount of travel.  I am too much of a homebody, and need to be with my hubby more often than not.

1...
First thing I love is seeing my remote co-workers in their elements.  I love meeting face to face with those that I spend so much time on the phone with.  Since I'm in our home office, they come to us more often than we come to them.  I love to see how and where they work, I love to be introduced to their favorite eateries, and just love getting to know them in their setting.  

2...
When I travel, I'm not really one to grab dinner and go sit back in my hotel room.  I love leaving the office and taking advantage of my rental car time (this time I'm driving a roller skate...seriously!) and exploring the city.  And to be honest, I enjoy eating out by myself.  Granted, I would probably never do that at home, but there is something liberating about enjoying a nice meal and a glass of wine at a table by yourself and not knowing a sole in the place.  

3...
Free airline miles & hotel points...nuff said

4...
Me time...Every once in a while, it's nice to only have to worry about myself.  It's welcoming to be in a hotel room where there are no dishes to clean, clothes to be washed or folded and just generally, no household responsibilities.  And your bed gets magically made while you're gone!!  Like tonight, I had a business dinner, and all I plan on doing now that I'm back in the room is reading my book.  Sometimes I just feel like I don't have time to even pick it up for more than 10 minutes at home.

5...
Finally, one of my absolute favorite things about travelling on business is the SHORT COMMUTE!!  Coming from a girl who drives a good hour plus each way to work, it is really a nice time of reprieve to be at  a hotel literally steps from the office.  Believe me, I take full advantage of sleeping late, getting an early morning work-out or run in, and stopping off for a Starbucks without fearing that I'll be seriously late to the office.  

Now, I'm counting the hours to be back on that big bird in the sky tomorrow afternoon and headed back to my bed and my babies.  I miss coming home to Greg and spending our evenings cutting up and being silly.  I miss Prissy & Vegas and all the antics that those two are up to.  I can't wait to walk in that door tomorrow night and get kisses from them all.  Until then, I will enjoy my travels and the good aspects of it all!  Sorry for the boring, no picture post.  This was just fresh on my mind lately and I thought I'd share my thoughts.  What do you all think of business trips?  Do you like a short one every now and then as much as I do?  

Side note:  There are plenty of negatives to business travels but we'll leave those to another post for now.  And I'm sure my thoughts on the matter will change tremendously once there are Mini-Smiths in the picture.  :-)  




2 comments:

Kristy Goldman said...

Good list - especially #4. Your thoughts on that might not change as much as you think with mini-Smiths.... as long as the trips are short and its not while they are SUPER-mini. :) Safe travels!

michelle ellis said...

I'm with you - I LOVE going out to eat alone somewhere new. It's an adventure, and it's so nice to be still and quiet with a glass of wine sometimes!


Simply Smith

The Mr. & Mrs.

Rhett

Miss Prissy

Vegas
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved