Monday, December 3, 2012

The Smith's Southern Comfort Babymoon- Part I

Greg and I were so blessed last weekend to squeeze in a long weekend "Babymoon" before I got uncomfortable pregnant, and especially before Mr. Rhett arrives.  We knew we wanted to go somewhere, but also knew we wanted to stay within the country from emergency reasons.  So, we took advantage and went to two southern locations that we both really wanted to visit.  

Our first stop was Charleston, South Carolina.  Greg is such a southern history junky, so I knew that going to the place where the Civil War started would be right up his alley.  My college roommate, Megan, and her family live just a few hours from Charleston, so they drove down and hung out with us for a day.

We started our trip out by taking a carriage ride around the historic area of town.  Charleston is gorgeous and so rich in southern history.  I absolutely loved the architecture!  I definitely found me a couple homes I could live in!

Our carriage and tour guide, and me with Megan & her cute kiddos

Various homes throughout Charleston, sweetgrass basket makers, and the  coolest fire station ever!

After our tour, we grabbed lunch on the Ashley River at Fleet's Landing, then headed to a waterfront park to get some pictures.

Dining al fresco at Fleet's

Me & my old partner in Crime
Whoa belly!!
After we sadly bid goodbye to Megan, Matt & the kids, Greg and I headed to the Aiken-Rhett house.  When I saw this historical home in the travel books, I knew we HAD to visit there.  I mean, it is our Little Man's name, right?  The house was home to a former governor of South Carolina and built in 1820.  We couldn't take pictures inside, but the history that was preserved within the home was amazing!

That night, Greg & I had a nice dinner at Hall's Chophouse.  The meal was delicious and the service was beyond stellar!  The owner made a point to welcome us upon arrival, and when we got home to Houston, we even had a hand-written thank you note from our server.  So, if you are ever in Charleston, I highly recommend Hall's.  You won't be disappointed!


The next morning, we headed to Boone Hall Plantation.  Boone Hall is the oldest working plantation in America and is also filled with history.  Although the slavery period is a very dark area of American history, I think it is so important to know and understand our American history.  The grounds were gorgeous and the "Avenue of Oaks" were one of the prettiest sights I've ever seen.  I can't imagine how pretty the plantation must be during the spring and summer months when its all in full bloom.  If you are a pop culture nut like myself, you may recognize Boone Hall as one of the filming locations from the movie "The Notebook" as well as the wedding location for Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively!



Overall, we loved Charleston and especially loved seeing Megan & Matt!  But after a couple days, it was on the road to Savannah, Georgia.  More details to come...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is the exact same trip that I want to take next year! Charleston to Savannah! I can't wait to see your next post!

Darby Hawley said...

What a great trip! Can't wait to hear about the rest!


Simply Smith

The Mr. & Mrs.

Rhett

Miss Prissy

Vegas
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved